Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Growing Together


I've been thinking a lot lately about what it means to work on our selves and why it's so important. Self work is all about growth. We take a good look at our weaknesses and strengths. We admit there is room for improvement and become willing to take steps that will lead us closer to it. Self work is holistic. It encompasses our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual selves which are all intricately woven together creating the beautiful tapestries that we are.
To be honest though, there are some occasions that I find digging around in the closet of my soul to be a painful experience. I unknowingly touch an open wound that I thought had already healed and end up face to face with deep pain. Or I suddenly find myself aware of an attitude or mindset that isn't very flattering and feel embarrassed. Yet, sometimes, I find things there that are surprising...A forgotten love like painting, dancing or taking walks in nature...that gently wafts across my being like a warm spring breeze. Most unexpected are the times when I uncover a strength. Those are the moments when I realize that a hurtful or difficult experience from the past has become a part of my foundation which enables me to stand even taller.
One thing that's becoming more apparent about self work to me as I go along is that we don't have to face ourselves alone. Our first and best resource is God! In remembering that no matter what our shortcomings or strengths God loves us, we can let go of the fear, shame and judgement around them. Another thing that I'm finding is that as we move forward on this transformative journey support comes from all sorts of places. Maybe we find it in an article we happen to read, in the caring embrace of a loved one or the gentle words of a stranger. Whatever the case we get the message that we're still lovable...acceptable...and that everything is going to work out just fine.
The best thing of all is that the stronger we become, the more we heal, and the deeper we dig, the more available we are to be a support for the next person. We become the shoulder that a friend or a stranger can cry on...we are the person who helps a friend remember to be gentle when they see something that needs work...We are the ones who support the healing that's happening! And just as the things that makes us up as individuals are woven together beautifully, as we welcome and support growth and love in one another...each of us joined together create an even more lovely and awesome piece of art!

Prayer for the Journey:
May we, each of us, tap into the support, love and willingness to dig deeper. Let us remember that everything we find is already accepted and loved by God. Let us find peace, comfort and strength as we continue to develop and grow in your God's Spirit. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Most unexpected are the times when I uncover a strength. Those are the moments when I realize that a hurtful or difficult experience from the past has become a part of my foundation which enables me to stand even taller.

    Positive message. I couldn't agree more. People always say that you are stronger than you think you are...


    So true.

    ReplyDelete